DoD PIF Strategic Plan
Migratory bird populations are declining throughout the Western Hemisphere. Many of thse birds use military lands for feeding and resting during their migrations, and for nesting and breeding during the summer months. Because birds do not recognize geopolitical boundaries, it is up to all land managers to work cooperatively to stem declines in bird populations.
The DoD PIF strategic plan offers a coordinated framework for incorporating bird habitat management efforts into installation Integrated Natural Resources Management Plans. DoD's strategy focuses on inventory, on-the-ground management, education, and long-term monitoring to determine changes in migrant bird populations on DoD installations.
Focus areas were identified in the most recent strategic planning process, completed in 2012. A Strategic Plan document is not available at this time, but fact sheets on each of the Focus Areas are available.
The 2002 plan is available online in .pdf format. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it on the Adobe web site, free.
2002 Strategic Plan Outline
Download the Plan
- Message of Support (0.4 MB)
- Introduction (1.1 MB)
- What are Neotropical Migratory Birds?
- History - Cause for Concern
- Development of PIF and The Flight Plan
- Human Impacts on Bird Habitat
- Bird Conservation Planning (1.3 MB)
- A Landscape Perspective
- The Migration Cycle
- DoD's Contribution to PIF
- Steppinstones of Migration
- PIF's influence on DoD
- DoD Management Strategy (0.4 MB)
- The DoD Partners in Flight Policy
- Partnerships / A Strategy for DoD Action
- Regional Working Groups (1.4 MB)
- Technical Working Groups (included in "Regional Working Group" PDF)
- Communications / Education
- Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard / International
- Program Funding (0.2 MB)
- DoD Bird Conservation Priorities (1.8 MB)
- Radar Ornithology
- Monitoring Avian Productivity & Survivorship
- Satellite / Remote Tracking
- Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard
- Landscape Level Habitat Conservation
- Mangroves & Tropical Forests
- National, Regional, & State PIF Support / Invasive & Nuisance Species
- Communication Towers & Power Lines / Citizen Science / Pesticides
- Highlights & Accomplishments (0.4 MB)
- Literature Cited (included in "Highlights & Accomplishments" PDF)